Named in honor of Ken Colborn '47, the Colborn Distinguished Service Award pays tribute to an alumnus/a in recognition of their selfless commitment and ongoing volunteer service to The Webb Schools and/or Raymond M. Alf Museum of Paleontology.
This award recognizes distinguished and significant volunteer service to The Webb Schools and/or Raymond M. Alf Museum of Paleontology, over an extended period or for a specific project or activity.
Preference is given to alumni in a reunion year, and the recipient must be available to attend Alumni Weekend to receive the award. In 2018, the classes of 1958, 1963, 1968, 1973, 1978, 1983, 1988, 1993, 1998, 2003, 2008 and 2013 are celebrating reunions.
Finalists are determined by the Alumni Council's Awards Committee. The final selection is made by the Alumni Council President, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, Head of Schools, and alumni staff. Each award is given out annually to one or more recipients; however, if the committee does not find a suitable candidate, then the award may not be given that year.
Nominees are evaluated on three criteria:
• Nominee's notable achievement as it pertains to this category
• How well the nominee exemplifies the school's mission through his/her work
• Nominee's affinity for his/her alma mater as demonstrated by their involvement with Webb (ie. Are they an active alumnus? Do they attend events, reunions or volunteer for alumni programs, etc?)
• Nominees who are not selected are still eligible for the next four years, and do not need to resubmit an entry.
2013 Ken Colborn '47
2014 Jim Hall '59
2015 Dick Lynas '55
2016 Dodd Fischer '61 and Peter Ziegler '63
2017 H. Earl "Bud" Hoover '52, Kimball McCloud '67 and Janel Henriksen Hastings '87
About Ken Colborn '47
During his lifetime, Ken Colborn (1929-2013) served The Webb Schools with a generous heart for over 60 years.His involvement in the life of the Schools is too vast to completely recount, but selection of his important roles included:
• Three-term President and former member of the Alumni Council
• Honorary Chair of Webb's 75th Anniversary Celebration
• Chair of Alumni Weekend, beginning in 1982
• Reunion Committee Chair on numerous occasions, including the 50-Plus Reunions
• Webb Fund class agent
• Member of the 1991 Long Range Planning Committee
• Development/Marketing Committee Member
• Alumni Commission
• Thompson and Vivian Webb Society member
• In October 2013, Ken was honored at the Alumni Weekend festivities as the first recipient of the Colborn Distinguished Service Award.